Thursday, January 27, 2011

Grain-Free Crab Cakes


This recipe kind of happened on a whim. I usually use pureed pine nuts as my binder when I made seafood cakes. They make a sort of paste and give a nutty flavor and work excellent to help hold the crabcake together instead of traditional breadcrumbs. But I was out of pine nuts and I have at least 10 other kinds of nuts on hand so I picked out a bag of walnut meal. It didn’t alter the flavor of the crab cake at all but instead ended up making them so delicious and so crispy! Mike said they were the best I’ve made.

I serve this with an easy honey dijon dip. This recipe does include mayonnaise and if you’re wary of the store-bought versions, make your own! It really IS easy (I have a tutorial coming on this soon – just need my camera – SADFACE) or you can follow Kelly the Kitchen Kop’s version, but these are not requirements and jarred mayonnaise works just as well.


Grain-Free Restaurant Crabcakes
Grain-free, Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Sugar-free
What you need:

•10 oz (or 2 cans) cooked premium crab, the better quality crab, the better crabcake
•1/4 c. sliced scallions
•2 tbsp mayo
•2 tsp dijon mustard
•1/2 tsp minced garlic
•1 egg white
•1-2 tsp Old Bay Seasoning (use your preference, I love Old Bay so I use 2 tsp)
•2 tbsp walnut meal (you can grind your own in a coffee grinder or food processer)
•2 tbsp Organic Refined Coconut Oil
What you do:

1.Mix all ingredients (except coconut oil) together.
2.In a large frying pan, melt the coconut oil over medium high heat.
3.Test oil to see if it’s ready by dropping a small piece of crab mixture: if it bubbles and browns immediately, it is ready!
4.Form crab mixture into small patties and lay them gently in the pan.
5.Fry 2-4 minutes on each side until brown and crispy.
6.Drain on a paper towel until all are finished. This makes about 8-10 cakes the size pictured. If you want more, double the recipe!
7.Serve with dijon dip!
Recipe for dijon dip:
Mix the following together:

•4 tbsp mayo
•1 tbsp dijon mustard
•1/2 tsp old bay
•1 tsp Gluten-free Worchestshire sauce (I know, just trust me)
•2 tsp honey




No comments:

Post a Comment